Job Title: Non-Executive Director x2 (inc. Chair)
Remuneration: £10,000 Ned, Chair additional £5,000
Duration of role: 3 years
Time commitment: Minimum of 1 ½ days per month
Atlas BFW Management Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. As a separate entity the company has its own Board of Directors and Articles of Association.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Atlas BFW Management Ltd have been working together over the past three years and seeing the business expand and diversify its customer base. With so many opportunities Atlas BFW Management Ltd is moving forward at pace and looking for two new non-executive directors to join, where one with also carry the mantle of the Chair.
- Constructively challenge and contribute to the development of the company.
- Scrutinise the performance of management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting of the performance.
- The post holder will satisfy themselves that financial information is accurate and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.
- Analyse and contribute positively to the strategic direction of Atlas BFW Management Ltd.
- Contribute to constructive debate regarding the issues facing Atlas BFW Management Ltd.
- To ensure the best use of financial and other resources in order to maximise effective delivery of service.
- Ensure the company sets challenging objectives for improving performance.
- Hold the management team to account for the effective management and delivery of the company’s strategic aims and objectives.
- Participate fully in the work of the Atlas Board, ensuring corporate responsibility of the Atlas Board of Directors.
- Ensure that strategies, policies and actions approved by the Atlas Board are implemented effectively by the senior management team.
- Provide analysis and constructive challenge to information on organisational and operational performance.
- Ensure that there is a comprehensive framework of governance and that risks are effectively managed.
Person Specification – NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Background and Experience
- Board or Senior Executive Level achievements.
- Commercial experience in the construction and property sector. (Commercial/Property/FMNED)
- Experience in the financial sector. (Finance NED)
- Hold a recognised accountancy qualification. (Finance NED)
- Evidence of providing effective strategic direction supported by knowledge of corporate governance.
- Appreciation and understanding of the challenges facing the NHS.
- Evidence of developing excellent working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience of leading or managing significant change.
Skills and Personal Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Sufficient time and commitment to fulfil the role.
- Effective team member.
- Good understanding of the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of the role.
- Ability to understand complex strategic issues, analyse and resolve difficult problems.
- Commitment to adherence to the Nolan Principles of public life.
Additional Responsibilities – CHAIR
- Leading the committee and the organisation to enable it to fulfil its purpose.
- Ensure the management committee functions properly
- To plan and run meetings in accordance with strategic vision and objectives.
- To ensure matters are dealt with in an orderly, efficient manner.
- To bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision-making.
- To facilitate change and address any conflict within the Board.
- To ensure an effective relationship between:
the Board and the staff/volunteers
the Board and the external stakeholders/community
- Acting as a spokesperson and figurehead as appropriate.
- Plan and prepare the Board meetings and the AGM with others as appropriate.
- Chair Board meetings ensuring:
- A balance is struck between timekeeping and space for discussions.
- Business is dealt with and decisions made.
- Represent the organisation
- To communicate effectively the vision and purpose of the company.
- To advocate for and represent the company at external meetings and events.
- To be aware of current issues that might affect the company.
- To provide visible leadership and professional advice on matters pertaining to the role and the company.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – ESSENTIAL CRITERIA (CHAIR)
Background and Experience
- Good leadership skills (demonstrating current senior leadership experience at a Director level or equivalent).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates impartiality, fairness, inclusiveness and ability to respect confidences.
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a Board and the relationship with a stakeholder panel.
- Facilitate safe environment for discussion of sensitive and complex matters.